Sanctuary International
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sanctuary International

Sanctuary International and Intense Radio Online Community

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why are more Americans rejecting religion?

Go down 
+6
rock4king
DRReeves
LadyRocker
Candi
sirhemlock
PeacethroughX
10 posters
AuthorMessage
PeacethroughX

PeacethroughX

Female Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2007-05-24

Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Empty
PostSubject: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 8:30 am

I found this on the Infidel Feed over at Warpath. I know I have experienced a lot of this lately. When asked, I find myself taking a completely different approach to witnessing - a more personal approach as to what Jesus has done for me. That cannot be argued with, especially in the credibilty factor.

Anyone else experience this?

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/religion/columns/070922a.shtml

According to a recent article in The Washington Post, atheism is on the rise in America. Margaret Downey, president of the Atheist Alliance International, reports that her organization’s membership has doubled in the last year. She also reports that the Alliance’s annual convention already has a 500-person waiting list.

The Barna Group, an organization of pollsters that specializes in religious issues, conducted a survey and found about 5 million adults in the United States refer to themselves as atheists.

Their poll also found a number of additional people who say they have no religious faith or that they are agnostic. Combine these folk with the 5 million atheists, and the number of Americans detached from any sort of religious life rises to about 20 million.

This may explain why several recent books promoting atheism and criticizing all forms of faith have managed to become best sellers. Richard Dawkins’ “The God Delusion,” Sam Harris’ “The End of Faith,” Daniel Dennett’s “Breaking the Spell,” and Christopher Hitchen’s “God is Not Great,” have all appeared on the New York Times best seller list. In fact, Publisher’s weekly reports that titles attacking faith have sold a combined 750,000 copies.

We cannot help but ask, why? Why this sudden interest in atheism?

Part of the answer, according to Sam Harris and others, is the rise of militant Muslim fundamentalism. In his book “The End of Faith,” Harris quotes long passages from the Quran arguing that anyone who takes those selected words literally, and seriously, has no choice but to be at war with the rational world.

For Harris, fundamentalist Muslims and Christians are but two different sides of the same coin. Each serves as examples of why the world would be better off if there was “an end to faith.”

Others believe atheism is on the rise because of the secular influence of American culture. Dennis Prager, writing at Townhall.com, makes the case that “from elementary school to graduate school, only one way of looking at the world — the secular — is presented.” Some truth may be in that statement, but that is precisely what the framers of the U.S. Constitution had in mind. They had seen the disastrous results of state-supported religion and official orthodoxies mingled with civic duty in Europe and wanted none of it for America.

The Constitution establishes a secular society but with a guarantee of religious freedom for all.

If children go through life not knowing their faith heritage, as Prager asserts, that is not a failure of the public school system. If children do not learn their faith at home and at church, we cannot be surprised if they emerge into adulthood with low expectations about the role of faith in their lives.

We must also be willing to admit that some of this turning away from religion may be a form of running away.

The aggressive attacks on science from many quarters of the faith community have left some people feeling great resentment toward faith.
It could be that certain expressions of faith have made God too small to be embraced by those who experience the universe as vast and great.
A person who looks at the universe through the Hubble telescope is going to have trouble taking the first two chapters of Genesis literally. And when told that being faithful to God requires such belief, unbelief may feel like the only option.

James L. Evans, a syndicated columnist, also serves as pastor of Auburn First Baptist Church. He can be reached at faithmatters@mindspring.com.
Back to top Go down
http://www.achurchforthecity.org
sirhemlock

sirhemlock

Male Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 12:27 am

Worldwide Christianity is growing dramatically as it always has since the first century, yet in the "indulgent West" it is shriveling on the vine.

According to this message, the fact that fewer people are affirming Christianity in America is essentially irrelevant, as American Christianity on the main is a false religion anyway. The speaker claims that if you are an American and affirm Christianity, there is, on statistical grounds, about a 95% chance that you are going to hell.

Though many of us have the impression that Christianity is in retreat in the world today, nothing could be further from the truth.

Some of you have probably already read the thread below on the phenomenal growth of the persecuted church in China. This fascinating juxtaposition of suffering and church growth by William Lane Craig shows the true degree of the growth of the people of God in our world, both yesterday and today:

Quote :
“It may be the case that natural and moral evils are part of the means God uses to draw people into His kingdom. This was brought home to me several years ago as I worked through Patrick Johnstone’s Operation World (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1993). It is precisely in countries that have endured severe hardship that evangelical Christianity is growing at its greatest rates, while growth curves in the indulgent West are nearly flat. Consider, for example, the following reports:

“China: It is estimated that 20 million Chinese lost their lives during [Mao’s Cultural Revolution]… Christians… stood firm in what was probably the most widespread and harsh persecution the Church has ever experienced. The persecution purified and indigenized the Church… The growth of the church in China since 1977 has no parallels in history. Researchers estimated [that there were] 30-75million Christians [by 1990]… Mao Zedong unwittingly became the greatest evangelist in history…

“El-Salvador: The 12-year civil war, earthquakes, and the collapse of the price of coffee, the nation’s main export, impoverished the nation… Over 80% live in dire poverty… An astonishing spiritual harvest has been gathered from all strata of society in the midst of the hate and bitterness of war. In 1960 evangelicals were 2.3% of the population, but today are around 20%.

“Ethiopia: Ethiopia is in a state of shock. Her population struggles with the trauma of millions of deaths through repression, famine, and war… Two great waves of violent persecution… refined and purified the Church, but there were man martyrs… There have been… millions coming to Christ. Protestants were fewer than 0.8% of the population… in 1960, but by 1990 this may have become… 13% of the population (Johnstone, op cit, pp. 163-164; 207-208, 214).

“A chart released by the U. S. Center for World Mission documented the amazing growth in evangelical Christianity over the centuries. The researchers who compiled the data estimated that, in A.D. 100, for every evangelical believer in the world there were 360 non-Christians. By the year 1000 there were 220 non-Christians for every evangelical believer in the world. By 1900 that ratio had shrunk to 27 non-Christians per evangelical believer. And by 1989, for every evangelical believer in the world there were only 7 non-Christians. According to Johnstone, ‘We are living in the time of the largest ingathering of people into the Kingdom of God that the world has ever seen’ (Johnstone, p. 25). It is not at all improbable that this astonishing growth rate in God’s kingdom is due in part to the presence of natural and moral evils in the world.”

Dare we pray for revival in our own Western countries? What will it take to awaken us?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sirhemlock1
Candi

Candi

Female Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 10:03 am

sirhemlock wrote:

Dare we pray for revival in our own Western countries? What will it take to awaken us?

Sadly, another 911.
We all came together after that, but it didn't last long...No

All one has to do is spend some time reading christian message boards to get turned off to christianity silent .... all the debates and bashing Mad ... mean people Evil or Very Mad ... alien conspiracy theories...alien .... is santa evil santa .....

And then I'm sure we get lumped in with the others.... like... mormans that wear magic underwear....rabbit

Stuff like that....Sleep
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 6:00 pm

Quote: the fact that fewer people are affirming Christianity in America is essentially irrelevant, as American Christianity on the main is a false religion anyway. The speaker claims that if you are an American and affirm Christianity, there is, on statistical grounds, about a 95% chance that you are going to hell.

This is precisley one of the reasons I've left the faith, constant judgement from other christians who have no idea what is in my heart, to wit, the only ones who are "truly" saved, are those who act like the pharasies, "the seperated ones"!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 6:18 pm

Quote: a more personal approach as to what Jesus has done for me. That cannot be argued with, especially in the credibilty factor.

Indeed it can not, neither can what Buddism, 12 step groups and theropy did for my mother, she has peace, joy, and happiness in her life and she is not a christian. She also has a love for me that I have never experienced from anyone, something I would gladly die for!
Back to top Go down
LadyRocker

LadyRocker

Female Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 6:45 pm

Jesus already died for you, Mark. That should be enough to let you know that God still loves you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianrockandfellowship.net
DRReeves

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 6:49 pm

Hummmm. Seems to me the 80/20 rule still applies.

It is interesting to watch the 80% in all their various colors and flavors go on and on about why the rest of the 80% don't get it/them yet the best they seem to come up with for themselves is that they know they're at least not like the rest of the 80%! Laughing

Maybe I shouldn't laugh. Its not really funny.
I know Jesus. He is my friend. More than my friend, he is my Lord and Savior, and the only thing he ever asked of me was that I hand over control to him, and that I speak his truth in love in this mission to reconcile the world to himself.
He is not amused at the number of those unreconciled.

It is so easy to fall into the trap of believing its about doctrine, or behavior, or appearances.
But those things are for us. God's wisdom spoken to us about avoiding the "pot holes" in life.
We've baked these into the American Dream so that western Christianity becomes a comparative sort of endevour.

If you truly love Jesus the Holy Spirit will guide you through the doctrine and what you don't understand isn't worth fighting over.
If you truly love Jesus the Holy Spirit will convict you of sin and empower you to overcome it, and what others believe about your struggles is a problem they'll have to deal with.
If you truly love Jesus the Holy Spirit will shape your culture and your attitudes to reflect himself so that those who speak against you only spread their own tables with crow to eat. It says more about them than it does about you.

In that knowledge there is rest. I don't have to look back, I have accepted that I need change already and that is why I am his talmid, not just some "hanger on" pretending I meant what I'm not willing to live.

I have been a member of the invisible Church for some time and I have found true faith and hypocrisy growing side by side like wheat & tares nearly everywhere I go.
In America we are addicted to our own comfort and pleasure, but many of us love Jesus more.
Come quickly Lord Jesus. We wait for you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 7:44 pm

The modern church in America is a farce. Hypocracy rules in todays church. God is still true. But the church dont know him.
Back to top Go down
LadyRocker

LadyRocker

Female Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 11:42 pm

Hypocrisy is in every church, no matter where you are, Jim.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianrockandfellowship.net
sirhemlock

sirhemlock

Male Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 12:21 am

"So the servants of the owner came and said to him, 'Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?' He said to them, 'An enemy has done this.' The servants said to him, 'Do you want us then to go and gather them up?' 29 "But he said, 'No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them" Matthew 13:27-29
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sirhemlock1

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 2:31 pm

I think sadly this is a sign of the times....

Jesus is the only truth
Back to top Go down
rock4king

rock4king

Male Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2007-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 5:24 pm

I agree with what David said, good points bro!

It's all about surrendering to Jesus and letting Him change us from the inside out. The problem is not with God, the problem is that most of us are not willing to surrender our own will.
Back to top Go down
http://www.intenseradio.com

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 11:21 am

Well said bro
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 9:58 pm

I think people are turning away from religion, but more are turning to spirituality, I see this as a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Tonnenator

Tonnenator

Female Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2007-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 2:17 am

Well, Changeling, the "spirituality" you're referring to, would have been how Jesus lived. The "religion" you're all referring to, would have been how the Pharisees lived, who were the religious leaders of the day, who hung Jesus on the cross (which was part of His plan, but I digress).

Some things the Pharisees did:

a) Lived secret lives where they did things that were wrong, that they knew were wrong.

b) Pointed fingers at everybody else, who did the same things they did.

c) Taught false teachings. Twisted scriptures to meet their own needs, to justify their sins.

One thing we all need to do is, if we know we're truly saved and truly love Jesus, we need to stop slapping labels on the church and stop running from it. We're only making things worse. If all the "true christians" run from the church, all that's left is Pharisees. And then that's all people will see, they'll never see Jesus if He's not represented.

The church is gasping for a breath of fresh air, and if you're sitting at home on your butt whining about how the last one you went to did you wrong, or how they're all hypocrites, then you're withholding the breath of fresh air they need.

True, sometimes we need to shake the dust off our feet and move on, but there are good churches out there with loving people who just need a kick in the butt to help get them started. I got a kick in the butt today, in the form of a Word of Knowledge about John & I from one of our elders, Sharon, (a woman elder in an A/G church, right on!) who said it is time for us to "do this ministry"! She said our time is now, and that the time for everybody in our church sitting on their butts whining about why there aren't any young people is over and it's time for us to move.

This was a lady in her 60's/70's, who is a caregiver to her 17 year old grandson who is supposedly dying, although she said the doctors are seeing huge improvement which means God is healing him. Through all this, staying up all night and helping him breathe, God showed her that it is time to get up and move and do what you know you're supposed to do and stop being complacent!

WE are the church, and if we truly love Jesus, then we need to stop bickering and complaining and bond together. We need to read our Word and know what it says, and live it and stop being a bunch of double minded hypocrites.

If there is one thing that atheists and agnostics can't stand, it's a bunch of mealy-mouthed hypocrites who don't even know their own Bible that they allegedly believe in, or they know it and don't live it. It disgusts them, and it disgusts God.

Jesus said, "I would that ye were hot or cold; for if you are lukewarm, I will spew you out of my mouth".

So that means that it disgusts Him, too!

One of the things that transformed Billy Graham's generation, was his unwavering conviction.

And yet there have been many times when I have posted my unwavering convictions even here on Sanctuary and had everybody beat me over the head and respond rather hatefully. I know I've responded in anger, too. It needs to stop. People who don't know Jesus are here watching us.

We need to stop with the snide comments and biting words, even those that are veiled with fake kindness.

Search your hearts, people, honestly search your hearts. Let God search your hearts. Think about some of the things you've said to me and to others and the true motives behind them. I know the motives behind my words and they aren't always good. Are yours?

We had an atheist accept Christ at our bible study two weeks ago. That right there should tell you something about me, that I'm not the flake that some of you seem to think I am. My husband and I have a ministry that is making a real difference in some people's lives. We're nobody any more special than any of you. We just opened the doors of our house and bought pizza every week, and taught what the Bible said, and made NO apology for it.

And this kid, who is 18, respects that. We didn't have to embrace anything he embraced in order to make him think we were cool. We just loved him and told him the truth.

Today...

...it seems like everyone's afraid of that.

Which makes a bunch of us, liars.

And nobody likes a liar.

Especially atheists and agnostics.
Back to top Go down
http://www.generationactz.com
rock4king

rock4king

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 12:50 pm

Good word Tonya!
Back to top Go down
Tonnenator

Tonnenator

Female Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2007-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 3:10 pm

Yay! Finally! Somebody actually LIKED something I said! LOLOLOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.generationactz.com
Billion Dollar Baby07

Billion Dollar Baby07

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 2:46 pm

I think the rejection of Christianity by most Americans and
the growth of alternative religions from islam to paganism
{and all points in between} is that Christians do not live out
the commands of the Bible...

It is a sad commentary on the state of US Christianity when
a survey group like the respected Barna Group has surveyed
Christians and the results are that there is NO
{ABSOLUTELY NONE} major difference between Christians
and non-Christians in terms of moral behavior!!

Shame on us {including me} for failing to letting the Bible's
teachings impact our daily lives and morality..
Back to top Go down
switchbladeknitter

switchbladeknitter

Female Number of posts : 804
Registration date : 2007-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2007 10:57 pm

I think part of the reason that so many Americans are rejecting religion is that the media shoves stories and reports down our throat all day long about scientific facts to support everything. If they can explain away every problem in the world through science then who needs God right? (that's what they think not me)
Add that to the fact that the only Christians that get any media coverage are fire and brimstone everyone is going to hell kind of people. And let's face it in a world where people don't care about God, when you go full out like that you become a joke to a lot of non-religious people. (again them not me)
And yes, sad as it is to me, it's very hip and cool to be ahtiest now. Listen to NPR (Boo!! hiss!!!) for a few hours, if you can last that long. Being anti-religious is almost as cool as being anti-president. (do I need to say it?)
That's my 2 cents, well it was more like 4 or 5.
Back to top Go down
futuristicfolkartist

Male Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 4:46 am

i used to think "religion" was a dirty word. but, in james, "true" religion takes care of widows, visits those in prison, gives the hungry food, etc. i hate to say it, but the church has failed miserably in this area!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jamiewoody
rock4king

rock4king

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 12:18 pm

futuristicfolkartist wrote:
i used to think "religion" was a dirty word. but, in james, "true" religion takes care of widows, visits those in prison, gives the hungry food, etc. i hate to say it, but the church has failed miserably in this area!

AMEN! I totally agree!

Here is what Pastor Bob has to say about it. I found an old article by him. He makes some really good points.

The Deadly Grip of Religion

by Pastor Bob Beeman

Did you know that your ability to live the Christian life successfully is impossible? It's true! Jesus knows it. God knows it. That is why God sent His only son Jesus to die on the cross in the first place! So why do we continue to live as though it is something we can do on our own?

Religion says, "I can work my way to Heaven." Christianity says, "My righteousness is as filthy rags, but I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

"Okay, Pastor Bob, I already knew that!" But do you really? Whom do you perceive as the greatest enemy to your faith? Most of you would answer "Satan." You might be surprised to find that this was not the answer Jesus gave. He said, "The Thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." (John 10:10) Who is the thief? According to the original Greek language, the word correctly translates as "Religion."

Religion is the thing that makes us feel like we have it all together. Religion causes us to feel justified when we gossip instead of loving each other. Religion causes us to turn up our noses at the world and its ways, as if we have arrived at some state of magic perfection. The truth of the matter is that many stay away from the faith because they know too many Christians!

I guess I am somewhat a novelty wherever I go. I do a lot of traveling in the ministry, which sometimes puts me on an airplane for over 10 hours at a sitting. (The truth is, even as I write this I am flying over Texas.) I know that at some point during my flights, the person sitting next to me is going to ask me what I do for a living. When I tell them that I am a Pastor, I can always tell it is the last thing they expected me to say. I am sure I don't LOOK like any Pastor they have ever encountered. I can also tell it is the last thing they WANTED me to say. Being stuck for many hours sitting next to some religious nut is not what they had in mind! As the flight continues, I am sure they are just as surprised that I am not trying to convert them. The Bible says, "Be ready at any time to give a quiet and reverent answer to anyone who asks you about the hope you have within you." (1 Peter 3:15) My job? Display hope!

Every day my love for Christ grows as my dependence on Him becomes greater. The direct result is HOPE. Hope isn't something I try to do. HE is my hope. Most of the time, the person sitting next to me is the one that begins talking about God, not me! Today, on the first leg of my trip, I had an older woman who was a little taken back with me as I explained I was a Pastor. But about 30 minutes into our flight, she said, "Can I talk to you? You seem like such a nice young man." She was just returning home from helping her son and his new bride as they gave birth to her 21st grandchild. She was coming home a week early because her new daughter-in-law was being very mean and obviously didn't want her around. This sweet little grandmother, with tears running down her face, said, "I have never had anyone dislike me before. I don't know what to do! What do you think God would say?"

It is sad to me that we miss those kinds of opportunities because we are so busy playing religion and trying to earn spiritual brownie points. We dedicate ourselves to the fine art of evangelism. We take classes on it, we rehearse our strategy, and we initiate the attack. The Bible tells us that … no one comes to the Father unless he draws them first. When I surrender my will to His will, and my agenda to His agenda, He will always bring those who need to talk at the appointed time. I love the verse in 1 Peter that we just read, because it takes the pressure off of me to perform, and instead gives me an opportunity to respond in love.

All too often the world sees us as arrogant, self-righteous snobs. And, in many aspects of our faith, they are correct. Why? Again, we have forgotten our enemy. Jesus said, "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." (Galatians 5:1) What kind of slavery? Simple. Religion. Legalism. The belief that I can work my way to Heaven and to the love of God. But you see, it is not for my freedom only. It is also for the freedom of those around me - those that I influence. When I am truly free in Christ because of his Grace, and not operating within the confines of Religion, then people truly see hope. Religion produces a sense of gloom and doom – almost a "holier than thou" mentality. Christ gives us hope – contagious hope!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why are more Americans rejecting religion?   Why are more Americans rejecting religion? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sanctuary International :: Intense Forums :: GOD-
Jump to: