Sanctuary International
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sanctuary International

Sanctuary International and Intense Radio Online Community

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Are you a member of "The Club"?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bigjtink

bigjtink

Male Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2007-05-21

Are you a member of "The Club"? Empty
PostSubject: Are you a member of "The Club"?   Are you a member of "The Club"? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 8:32 pm

Gary and I were having a conversation the other day. We started talking about the US vs. THEM mentality that so many Christians seem to have. Like "we" are somehow better than "them". Gary said he was just a beggar showing the other beggars where the bread is. I like that and I feel the same way. But I do know a fair share of Christians who look down on folks who are not saved. Judging thier behavior etc. Some cant even have a conversation with an unsaved person.
I suppose this avenue of thought was prompted by something that was said to me recently by an unsaved friend. (Yes I have some friends who are not Christians). She was recounting her experience with another mutual friend and how she wont even act like she exists.
I know the word says not to be unequally yoked but I'm not so sure it is applicable in this instance. It tells us to come out from among them and be separate as well. But The word also says to go forth and make disciples etc. How do we do that if we are separate?
Any thoughts on the subject?
Back to top Go down
PeacethroughX

PeacethroughX

Female Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2007-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Are you a member of "The Club"?   Are you a member of "The Club"? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 10:15 pm

My first instinct is that the separation is of the heart - our hearts (and desires) belong to Jesus, but "their" hearts belong to the world.

Accepting Jesus usually means a change of heart for what is important to us. Our values, desires, and hopes change to more reflect God's glory and the heart of Jesus.

Hopefully, we become what the song says....

"We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
And we pray that all unity may one day be restored
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
They will know we are Christians by our love."

It sounds idealistic, but it can be achieved through a purposed heart.
Back to top Go down
http://www.achurchforthecity.org

PostSubject: Re: Are you a member of "The Club"?   Are you a member of "The Club"? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 10:41 am

PeacethroughX wrote:
My first instinct is that the separation is of the heart - our hearts (and desires) belong to Jesus, but "their" hearts belong to the world.

Accepting Jesus usually means a change of heart for what is important to us. Our values, desires, and hopes change to more reflect God's glory and the heart of Jesus.

Hopefully, we become what the song says....

"We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
And we pray that all unity may one day be restored
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
They will know we are Christians by our love."

It sounds idealistic, but it can be achieved through a purposed heart.

And there it is sports fans, "our hearts belong to Jesus, their hearts belong to the world", to wit, our hearts are pure, theirs are not, or as the old adage goes; "it's not like he or she's saved or anything"! I've found there are plenty of non-christians who are more "Christ like" then many christians, like I said at the Warpath, there is no evidence to support that there is any difference between the non-christian and the christian, none what so ever.
Back to top Go down
PeacethroughX

PeacethroughX

PostSubject: Re: Are you a member of "The Club"?   Are you a member of "The Club"? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 9:08 pm

The Changeling wrote:

And there it is sports fans, "our hearts belong to Jesus, their hearts belong to the world", to wit, our hearts are pure, theirs are not, or as the old adage goes; "it's not like he or she's saved or anything"!

Mark, you are showing a perfect example of that "Us vs. Them" mentality. You have just taken it upon yourself to redefine and interpret what I said, making it something entirely different - nowhere near what I said or meant.

Disagreeing and having a different opinion is fine, of course, but can you share your differences without being so negative or sarcastic? Please....pretty please?

Last edited by on Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DRReeves

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Are you a member of "The Club"?   Are you a member of "The Club"? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 9:12 pm

Who said that saying of your's is "Christian" Mark?
The first part is true. Kina. Our hearts are still deceptively wicked and we are to trust Jesus above our own hearts, but the basic premise that Jesus has purified us is correct.

Has Jesus made no difference in your heart?
Are you still unaware of the difference between your selfish desires and the selfless love of Christ?
Do you continue to live unremorseful and unrepentant in the face of all your failings?

Meeting Jesus has had a huge impact on my life, I couldn't begin to tell you of the changes that have occured since I met Him all those years ago. And while I have met some lovely people who do not believe in Jesus, we always seem to meet some impass where their sense of morality is a bit skewed.
Most importantly, they are entirely unable to appreciate what Jesus has done for them or subject themselves to His lordship as our holy master.

I do admit that I have met a number of people along the way who claim to serve Christ yet seem to live with little regard for His will or His commands and whether they are attempting to deceive me or they are deceived themselves my choice is to pray rather than judge, not because I'm just "so complete" as a Christian, but because I believe this is what I've been asked to do.

Now, when it comes to the issue of being one in the Spirit and one in love. I believe in the invisible Church.
I have met amoung "Christians" people whom I "bare wittness" to and I am able to fellowship with almost from before the first words are exchanged.
It has little to nothing to do with culture, denomination, geography or race and it defies conventional boundries.
It is a spiritual thing which in and of itself is testimony to the power of Christ.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are you a member of "The Club"?   Are you a member of "The Club"? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 11:17 am

PeacethroughX wrote:
The Changeling wrote:

And there it is sports fans, "our hearts belong to Jesus, their hearts belong to the world", to wit, our hearts are pure, theirs are not, or as the old adage goes; "it's not like he or she's saved or anything"!

Mark, you are showing a perfect example of that "Us vs. Them" mentality. You have just taken it upon yourself to redefine and interpret what I said, making it something entirely different - nowhere near what I said or meant.

Disagreeing and having a different opinion is fine, of course, but can you share your differences without being so negative or sarcastic? Please....pretty please?

I could, but where's the fun in that?! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are you a member of "The Club"?   Are you a member of "The Club"? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 11:21 am

I know exactly what you meant, my point is others have had their hearts and charecter changed apart from christianity, they have desires that are new, though you may still deem them "worldly".
Back to top Go down
PeacethroughX

PeacethroughX

PostSubject: Re: Are you a member of "The Club"?   Are you a member of "The Club"? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 8:04 am

The Changeling wrote:
I know exactly what you meant, my point is others have had their hearts and charecter changed apart from christianity, they have desires that are new, though you may still deem them "worldly".

I'm curious - why does the term "worldly" offend you if you are not a follower of Christ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are you a member of "The Club"?   Are you a member of "The Club"? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 12:52 pm

I like that example of one begger showing another begger where the bread is I really like that example
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are you a member of "The Club"?   Are you a member of "The Club"? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 3:32 pm

After I Fell wrote:
I like that example of one begger showing another begger where the bread is I really like that example

It's a Steve Brown quote, Mike rips him off as well! Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are you a member of "The Club"?   Are you a member of "The Club"? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 3:34 pm

PeacethroughX wrote:
The Changeling wrote:

I'm curious - why does the term "worldly" offend you if you are not a follower of Christ?

Context, context, context, the implication here seems to mean "worldly" = unspiritual, that is where I take issue, I don not believe all who are not christians are "worldly".
Back to top Go down
futuristicfolkartist

Male Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Are you a member of "The Club"?   Are you a member of "The Club"? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 9:40 pm

i like the "begar" analogy. funny, how i heard that years ago, and you are only the 2nd person (other than myself) i have heard use that! it is true. or, that we were one beggars, not different much from those who currnetly beg, and our needs are being met by a father who loves us.

he still wants us to ask though, and be humble. definitely food for thought.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jamiewoody

PostSubject: Re: Are you a member of "The Club"?   Are you a member of "The Club"? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 1:26 pm

There is a story about being among those who are not saved in the book I am reading by Greg Laurie. He spoke of Lot, whom walked with Abraham and was really moved by Abrahams faith and works for God. Well, Lot wanted the exciting life in Sodom and Gomorrah. Perhaps he even thought he would make a difference for God with these two cities that he KNEW was very Un Godly. But in the end we read that he became a leader of that city and even called the homosexuals that craved the bodies of the Angels "Brothers and Friends". He married a woman from the city whom was apparantly not a believer and compromised his faith even further by doing so. He compromised greatly. I believe Mr. Laurie was telling us to not try to become ONE with those whom are not saved because usually when you try to pull someone out of a pit and onto a stool, they end up pulling you down.
NOW, PLEASE dont credit me with any of the above thoughts and be angry with me....This is just something I am reading at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are you a member of "The Club"?   Are you a member of "The Club"? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are you a member of "The Club"?
Page 1 of 1