Share | 

Catholic and Protestant discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:17 pm

PeacethroughX wrote:
Quote :
Did you know the word Catholic means "christian"?

Actually, it means "universal", as in the "Catholic Church" being the universal church

Thank you, Marcia. You rock!

Cheers!

Ian
Back to top Go down
PeacethroughX

Female Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2007-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:33 pm

tongue

awesome in glory,
working wonders?"
Exodus 15:11

http://www.achurchforthecity.org

"I don't reject your Christ, I love your Christ. It's just that so many of you Christians are so unlike your Christ." Mahatma Ghandi
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.achurchforthecity.org

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:04 am

I always find it oddly fascinating, yet sad, when Christians fight with other Christians. Seriously, it's kind of like Democrats and Republicans; they like to think they are different, but when examined closely, they are really pretty much the same monster. Catholics, Protestants, Orthodox, Mormons, etc.: they may all do things a little bit different, but when looked at without the rose-colored glasses on, they are all very similar. Many times, it simply comes down to a different interpretation. I sometimes give my students an interesting lesson on interpretation. I will supply 50 students with the same quote, sans context, and ask them to tell me what it means. The quote will be fairly straight-forward to the initial viewing, but when I read the interpretations back, the students are shocked! Most of the time, I will have at least 45 different answers, and sometimes even 50! Interpretation is in the eye of the beholder, and is the reason why no one will ever convince anyone else that they have the right way to roll in Christianity. That's the beauty of the faith. To each their own; Christianity is a faith that allows for interpretation. Think Paul and Peter.

So, perhaps there are better things for Christians to argue about instead of which type of Christian is more satanic. Indeed, little more love goes a long way . . .

Cheers!

Ian
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:38 am

It was never my intention to "demonize" anyone, just to show the claims of the Catholic Church, wich is not a denominatin BTW. You said you hid the context, that makes any exegetical or hermanutical process impossible! Laughing As a Catholic, we do not abandon the exegetical/hermanutical approach of intepratation, but do so in light of the magisterium, our athority.

P.S. Good to see you again Ian! Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:45 am

I'm here, right on that edge of existence between physical and metaphysical. Had to go away for a while after the Warpath experience. It left me a bit jaded.

And not denomination, but Christian.

Cheers!

Ian
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:04 am

Ian wrote:
I'm here, right on that edge of existence between physical and metaphysical.

Cheers!

Ian

Been there, it's called "The Twilight Zone!" Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Tonnenator

Female Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2007-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:41 am

I'm not trying to divide anyone or trying to argue, or say that being Catholic is wrong.

It's that the two of them (Changeling and Victor) said in another thread, something along the lines that if a believer isn't Catholic then they aren't part of the "true church".

My husband and I run an interdenominational youth and young adults ministry, so I had a pretty big problem with that statement.

I have to ask you guys a question.

Putting aside all your lofty $50 words and all this vast knowledge and research that you seem to have, that I apparently don't...even though I'm a bible teacher......

How would it make you feel, if I said that the Assemblies of God was the only "true church"?

Now just think about it before you respond.....

........and don't just do so to prove me wrong.

THINK........about it. How would it make you FEEL?

..........since you aren't Assembly of God, and the Catholic church is the one where you experienced God......and it changed your life?

And here I am sitting here saying in so many words, that your experience was false, because you're not part of my denomination.

If I'm misinterpreting here, I'm sorry, but it seems that every time I quote something you guys said, you change it to mean something else, and all of a sudden I have misunderstood and jumped to a conclusion somehow.

I'm kinda starting to feel like I just can't win.

And yet somehow........I know I'm a winner, with Christ, and that nobody can take that from me.

I guess maybe with the Holy Spirit factor, some things just can't be explained away. Call me crazy.

So let me get this straight then:

1) The Catholic church is the only true church.

2) If you're not Catholic, then what? If statement #1 is correct, then logically, any church that isn't Catholic, being that it is not "true", must be false.

3) A false church, or a false religion, is clearly condemned in the bible. False teachers will be sent to hell. If my church is false, then I am following the leader of a false church - my non-Catholic pastor - who would be a false teacher, meaning that I am deceived and false, and my relationship with Christ is flawed.

4) Since my relationship with Christ is flawed, since I am not Catholic, then my relationship with Christ is false, and He does not know me, and according to scripture, will spew me out of His mouth.

Am I correct then, in assuming that all non-Catholics, by your line of thinking, would go to hell?

Please clarify how, according to your logic and scripture, they would not go to hell.

And nobody responded to the scripture about a hand not being a foot.

So please explain to me what that one means, because apparently I don't understand it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.generationactz.com

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:17 am

How I would feel is kind of irrelivent, I mean wouldn't you tell a Morman that they were in a false church, even though they tell you that Christ is their saviour? It no longer bothers me if anyone tells me that their church is right, I am becoming more persuaded everyday that the Catholic Church is the true Church. I do not belive this simply because I had a subjective experience there, I believe it because of the testimony of the Church fathers and the early christians, if you look at them, they all looked very Catholic! I provided a link to show the Church's stance on the salvation of those outside the Church. What does the "hand-foot" have to do w/any of this? BTW, if you have a valid baptism, you are part of the Catholic Church, just not in full communion w/her, all things in God's time! sunny
Back to top Go down
PeacethroughX

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:02 am

I will see if I can address your concerns as specifically as possible. Please know that I will probably come off very direct, but that the tone is nothing but that of one who wants to help clarify things for you, not attack, nor condemn, or make you feel anything else but that your opinion is worthy of a careful and studied response.

Tonnenator wrote:
I'm not trying to divide anyone or trying to argue, or say that being Catholic is wrong.

It's that the two of them (Changeling and Victor) said in another thread, something along the lines that if a believer isn't Catholic then they aren't part of the "true church".

My husband and I run an interdenominational youth and young adults ministry, so I had a pretty big problem with that statement.

I have to ask you guys a question.

Putting aside all your lofty $50 words and all this vast knowledge and research that you seem to have, that I apparently don't...even though I'm a bible teacher......

How would it make you feel, if I said that the Assemblies of God was the only "true church"?

Now just think about it before you respond.....

........and don't just do so to prove me wrong.

THINK........about it. How would it make you FEEL?

It may be affecting you because you are taking it as a PERSONAL CONFRONTATION instead of a discussion about different denominations of Christianity. Obviously, we are all going to FEEL passionate about our beliefs and our home churches.

Quote :
If I'm misinterpreting here, I'm sorry, but it seems that every time I quote something you guys said, you change it to mean something else, and all of a sudden I have misunderstood and jumped to a conclusion somehow.

Re-read what you just wrote - YOU quote someone else, and we CHANGE it to mean something else? Or were you corrected because you misquoted and the person clarified what THEY wrote FOR you. Have you considered that possibility - that you simply took it wrong?

Quote :
I'm kinda starting to feel like I just can't win.

There is nothing "to win", here Tonne. We are all sharing different experiences with our beliefs, our churches, and their history. As Christians, we cannot take this too personal or we will end up looking like Fred Phelps and his bunch.

Quote :
So let me get this straight then:

1) The Catholic church is the only true church.

According to hardline Catholics, yes.

Quote :
2) If you're not Catholic, then what? If statement #1 is correct, then logically, any church that isn't Catholic, being that it is not "true", must be false.

No, we are not "false", we are "separated brethren". It is a very similar concept to the separations we have created within our own Protestant church in our many, many denominations.

Quote :
3) A false church, or a false religion, is clearly condemned in the bible. False teachers will be sent to hell. If my church is false, then I am following the leader of a false church - my non-Catholic pastor - who would be a false teacher, meaning that I am deceived and false, and my relationship with Christ is flawed.

4) Since my relationship with Christ is flawed, since I am not Catholic, then my relationship with Christ is false, and He does not know me, and according to scripture, will spew me out of His mouth.

This is where division starts - these are YOUR conclusions, NOT theirs nor their churches. Again, we are not considered "false", but as "separated brethren".

That being said, there are some hardline Catholics, who do believe ALL protestants are heretics and hellbound. There are ALSO Protestant Christians who believe the Catholic church, the Seventh Day Adventist, and even the Assemblies of God with the beliefs about the gifts of the Holy Spirit, are "false" by their own peers!

Quote :
Am I correct then, in assuming that all non-Catholics, by your line of thinking, would go to hell?

Please clarify how, according to your logic and scripture, they would not go to hell.

Victor and Mark have made it clear they either do not believe this or are wise enough to make NO JUDGEMENT as to non-Catholics eternal destination.

Quote :
And nobody responded to the scripture about a hand not being a foot

Again, that's personal interpretation. I assume you are using that to show the reason for different denominations. It could also be used to show the different giftings based on the different personalities of many, many different people.

The very first part of those Scriptures is, "For as the body is ONE..."
For some, that is scriptural proof of their church being the ONE true, or valid, church, especially when it is not disputed by ANY denomination or history that the first and original established church was indeed the CATHOLIC church, being the universal church for all of earth.

Quote :
And yet somehow........I know I'm a winner, with Christ, and that nobody can take that from me.

THIS IS TRUTH!! And it also speaks volumes as to why you are feeling so strongly about this thread - nobody is trying to take anything away from you.

Now you need to think HARD about this - can you see that this thread is NOT personal, but an objective discussion about the differences in two big bodies of the Christian faith?

It may be very difficult for you to do, and perhaps you are not able to. Look within yourself. I hope this has helped and not caused you more distress.

awesome in glory,
working wonders?"

"I don't reject your Christ, I love your Christ. It's just that so many of you Christians are so unlike your Christ." Mahatma Ghandi
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:30 am

I honestly wonder if what we call "christian" is actually on the mark no matter what church we follow, believe or belong to....I basicly see it as a perverted institution that like all other things man touches has been tainted, changed and ripped apart beond repair.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:40 am

Panzer wrote:
I honestly wonder if what we call "christian" is actually on the mark no matter what church we follow, believe or belong to....I basicly see it as a perverted institution that like all other things man touches has been tainted, changed and ripped apart beond repair.

"I will build my Church and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it." No matter how certain people abuse the institution, the Church will stand, it is supernaturally protected by God!
Back to top Go down
bigjtink

Male Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2007-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:43 am

I'll chime in. I will not quote scriptures here becuase I think in the context of the discussion it would not serve a purpose. In other words I dont want to get into a quoting contest!
We are all different. We all have a different view of every thing life has to offer. As such, we will all have a different interpretation of scripture. But we all have been given free will to do as we choose. Its up to us, as individuals to navigate our way through this thing called life.
I think often times we (as Christians) get the "club" mentality. In other words my club is better than yours. And perhaps for you (or me) that may be true. But that does not make it absolute.
I have no business telling someone they are wrong because of their choice in a church.
Love should be the yard stick we use to measure.
I think I'll leave at that for now except to say that I have known some awesome folks in my life time, some are Catholic, Jew, Lutheren etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:45 am

I guess I am speaking of the physical "Church" that most people consider the cannon. The building, the doctrine, the board of directors, the leaders..... I understand that the bride IS the church....But I am talking in a more secular stance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:53 am

I am not saying that "my church" is better than anyones, I am simply reitterating the claims of the Catholic Church, nor am I interested in my interpration of Sacred Scripture, but rather the magesterium's.
Back to top Go down
bigjtink

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:00 am

Fine, There is only one way to settle this. Ask yourself the following question?

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:46 am

I imagine he would check w/"Priceline."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:53 am

All I know is "...better than pot, Jesus Rocks. " afro
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:55 pm

spectrefate wrote:
All I know is "...better than pot, Jesus Rocks. " afro

"Smoke on His love" brother! Laughing
Back to top Go down
bigjtink

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:31 pm

lol, I forgot about that. Mmmm, good cheese!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rastus

Male Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:43 pm

man tonne....i've never met a catholic that believed all pretestants are going to hell..its not lik that with most of us, we accept other religions, we do NOT condemn people or thier beliefs, though we're told (fequently) that we are:

Mary worshipers
pagans
statue worshipers
and SATANISTS

we just leave all the others out of it.

yeah, the catholic church is the most pure church in my opinion. but im not trying to lynch you!! im just discussing the matter!! not trying to win or lose, relax, its all good

*edit*
Quote :
it seems that every time I quote something you guys said, you change it to mean something else

i dont mean to be brutal..but you've misquote and used our own words against us more than once tonne....either that or you TOTALY missed what was said.....but it seems like you've been using some pretty harsh tactics. bounce Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/tory98

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:13 pm

I think it's a bit of xenophobia on both sides. I personally am Catholic and don't quite understand what alot of protestants do to worship. Like those Worship music compilation commercials they show on TV scare the crap out of me. Smile Are those people entranced by Michael W Smith tunes? Then on the other hand people think we worship Mary and sit stand and kneel too much.

We're all trying to get to Heaven. We just may live in different subdivisions there. Smile It's all good.
Back to top Go down
Rastus

Male Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:15 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Then on the other hand people think we worship Mary and sit stand and kneel too much.

*raises hand*
we kneel and sit and stand and prostrate WAAAAAYY too much
lol!

but i guess it's for God...so it's cool :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/tory98
PeacethroughX

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:44 pm

I'm not sure how this old lady's knees would hold up during a Catholic mass..... I don't kneel well! Razz

awesome in glory,
working wonders?"

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:37 pm

spectrefate wrote:

We're all trying to get to Heaven. We just may live in different subdivisions there. Smile It's all good.

........subdivisions, in the Catholic Cathedrals, in the Protestant Barns, conform or be cast out!
Back to top Go down
Tonnenator

Female Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2007-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:46 am

Panzer wrote:

DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!!!!!!!!!!

Ten points for Jim!

I am not "distressed" or taking this personally. And, at this point, I no longer have time for this discussion, because I have bigger fish to fry due to the MySpace of one of my kids saying he's gonna kill himself. So, I'll take my flawed, untrue religion and try to help him the best I can. Oh well.

Think what you wanna think at this point, guys.

I don't see how I'm the one using harsh tactics, when you two were the ones to make the statement of your church being the only true church, in the first place.

But whatever.

I'm stepping out before I get branded the bad guy again, just for discussing and trying to understand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.generationactz.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Catholic and Protestant discussion   

Back to top Go down

Catholic and Protestant discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next