Sanctuary International
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sanctuary International

Sanctuary International and Intense Radio Online Community

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My visit with Mormons

Go down 
+4
switchbladeknitter
Rastus
Son_of_Issachar
LadyRocker
8 posters
AuthorMessage
LadyRocker

LadyRocker

Female Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2007-07-16

My visit with Mormons Empty
PostSubject: My visit with Mormons   My visit with Mormons Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:27 pm

I ws watering the flowers yesterday when I happened upon a couple of Mormon missionaries. Let me just say that they are very dilligent about their work, and for that, I can applaud them, but barely. Now, they wanted to know what church I attended and if I could learn more about Jesus Christ. I understand a little about Mormonism, so I wanted to try to be as kind as possible without getting too irritated (It was hot and the flowers were dying). My first answer was, "I thank you, but I have the words of Christ, not Joseph Smith." It took them awhile to come back, but they said, "Well, we know that our church has been misrepresnted and so have we, but we can assure you that Joseph Smith was a prophet." My next answer came easily enough: "Well, thank you, but most of the Old Testament prophets spoke directly to God, and they did not have to get their revelations from angels." They kept trying to press it, but I just kept watering and kept moving on, and then they left.

Now, let me reassure you that Mormons are some very nice people, and they don't like their church to be attacked in any way, but I think they are grossly deceived in a lot of ways. Especially by their "prophet."
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianrockandfellowship.net

PostSubject: Re: My visit with Mormons   My visit with Mormons Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 8:31 pm

No need for intolerance, or even a tinge of mean-spiritedness.

If there is one thing about Mormon missionaries, they are eager to help out. Asking them to help you water your plants would have given all of you a chance to explore your different views on the nature of Christianity and God. And a person as passionate as yourself, Lia, might have found a way to plant a few seeds of your own.

Irritation? Yes, but you should be irratated at yourself for a missed opportunity to share the lifestyle that you most certainly love.

Next time, you'll be ready. Smile

Cheers,

Ian
Back to top Go down
Son_of_Issachar

Son_of_Issachar

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: My visit with Mormons   My visit with Mormons Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 8:46 pm

Actually, Lia...I think you did what you needed to do...

You should not feel like you mishandled that encounter...You were
probably kinder than most people would have been..

You witnessed to them without getting into a "theological slugfest"...
and good for you..

Daily BeComing the Archetype!
SOI
Back to top Go down
Rastus

Rastus

Male Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: My visit with Mormons   My visit with Mormons Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 10:05 pm

i tire of them.
but i respect the devotion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tory98
switchbladeknitter

switchbladeknitter

Female Number of posts : 804
Registration date : 2007-11-13

PostSubject: Re: My visit with Mormons   My visit with Mormons Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 12:47 am

I think you handled them great Lia.
Maybe you could have gone Ian's route and put them to work for you - those weeds don't pull themselves!! ok that that last part is tongue in cheek but you are very well versed and I'm sure you could have rebuffed every argument they had with some good old fashioned Biblical truth. And you're sweet enough where it wouldn't have become hostile or hurtful in any manner. But we can only do so much don't feel that you should have to do any more than you're comfortable with. I think you did handle it with grace.
Back to top Go down
PeacethroughX

PeacethroughX

Female Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2007-05-24

PostSubject: Re: My visit with Mormons   My visit with Mormons Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 8:12 am

I have done both with Mormons. I got to know two Mormons pretty well while Billy was touring and not home much. Nicolas was little (7, maybe 8?) and we had the HUGE OLD home in Ohio that needed a lot of work.

I would feed them - I do know for fact they GREATLY appreciated eating home-cooked meals - and they would repair and paint for me over the course of one summer. We had some interesting and loooong conversations, but never, ever came close to convincing one another of each other's "truth".

But... my home got the minor repairs and paint it needed and they got fed well. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.achurchforthecity.org
zombiewalkin

zombiewalkin

Male Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: My visit with Mormons   My visit with Mormons Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 12:00 pm

That is an awesome story Peace!

Lia, I think you handled the situation well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My visit with Mormons   My visit with Mormons Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 1:24 pm

When they come to my house I remove my pants and underware and greet them at the door. They try not to look but they always do then they turn red and walk off without saying goodbye. Its rude, Its Crude, but so am I.
Back to top Go down
PeacethroughX

PeacethroughX

Female Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2007-05-24

PostSubject: Re: My visit with Mormons   My visit with Mormons Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 3:27 pm

I am actually at a loss for words... Suspect

And now there is imagery in my brain I do not want... tongue
Back to top Go down
http://www.achurchforthecity.org
Rastus

Rastus

Male Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: My visit with Mormons   My visit with Mormons Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 5:04 pm

mmk, bad image.

but sounds like it'd work ; )
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tory98
rock4king

rock4king

Male Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2007-05-21

PostSubject: Re: My visit with Mormons   My visit with Mormons Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 7:05 pm

Metalvikng wrote:
When they come to my house I remove my pants and underware and greet them at the door. They try not to look but they always do then they turn red and walk off without saying goodbye. Its rude, Its Crude, but so am I.

You know whats funny, this past weekend I had Jehovah Winesses come to the door. It was a Sat morning and I was in a tshirt and boxers drinking coffee. It was a lady and young daughter, about 6 or 7 I guess. My front door was open but the screen door was closed. I didnt even think about it til later, but I answered the door like I was...
She asked me if she could read me a scripture and I asked what church are you with. She responded that she was with JW, but there have been alot of misconceptions about them and could she explain them to me. I said I had my own relationship with Jesus and I really wasnt interested....

I really wasnt trying to scre them off with my attire, but it worked!

HAHAHA
Back to top Go down
http://www.intenseradio.com
sirhemlock

sirhemlock

Male Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-05-31

PostSubject: Re: My visit with Mormons   My visit with Mormons Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 4:20 am

Metalvikng wrote:

Wow. Yet another reason to be glad I'm not a Mormon. It would certainly be embarrassing to come back to your home for a second visit under those circumstances, Jim. Did you do that because they were Mormons or do you do that for all your guests?

I liked what Ian said.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sirhemlock1

PostSubject: Re: My visit with Mormons   My visit with Mormons Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 3:39 pm

I did it because Mormons are NOT welcome here. They sew seeds of deceit and bring false gospel. I bid them neither Godspeed or welcome in my home. Besides my interior decorations would not place them in a comfortable surrounding.
Back to top Go down
switchbladeknitter

switchbladeknitter

Female Number of posts : 804
Registration date : 2007-11-13

PostSubject: Re: My visit with Mormons   My visit with Mormons Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 2:54 pm

The one thing I did that sent them away quick was answer the door with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth drinking a beer in tank top and shorts.
But at that time in my life that was how I always answered the door.

Good to know that I can put them to work in exchange for a meal. It's cheaper than hiring day labor and totally legal.
Last time I saw Mormons in my area though we were crusing on the opposite side of the road and they were on the corner franticly trying to wave down a ride. The area we just moved from can be a little rough. We would have maybe turned around it was too late by the time we realized what we just saw and I highly doubt they would have got in the car with us anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My visit with Mormons   My visit with Mormons Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My visit with Mormons
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sanctuary International :: Intense Forums :: GOD-
Jump to: