Sanctuary International
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sanctuary International

Sanctuary International and Intense Radio Online Community

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which version of the Bible?

Go down 
+3
LadyRocker
bigjtink
switchbladeknitter
7 posters
AuthorMessage
switchbladeknitter

switchbladeknitter

Female Number of posts : 804
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Which version of the Bible? Empty
PostSubject: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 1:01 pm

If this has been discussed here before you can direct me to where ever that was and I can read there and won't be hurt.
Which version of the Bible is the "best"?
I have been told by some Southern Baptists that the KJV is definately not. That's what I have because that's what I got at a truck stop ministry table. But I have been told by Baptists that dancing is wrong so I wasn't sure how seriously I should take them.
This is going to sound completely silly probably but my biggest problem and the whole thing that makes me ask this question is the way Psalm 139: 13 is translated.
A friend had that as his signature on my old forum saying that God was the original knitter
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

but the KJV translates it as
For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.

Am I just being to picky? Or is God trying to tap me on the shoulder and tell me that maybe this isn't the version of the Bible that's the proper one?
I am really looking forward to hearing everyone's input on this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 1:22 pm

I honestly look at one verse in the bible and if it is in the version of the bible I have at the time ....I read it....That is John 3:3. I belive the Holy spirit will guide the believer to the truth.
But dont take my word on it, ive been wrong before LOL.
Back to top Go down
switchbladeknitter

switchbladeknitter

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 2:01 pm

Thanks and God Bless the internet, I can look up any version of any verse in just sceonds!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 12:26 pm

I dont know if one version is better than the other I would say whatever version helps you understand what the word is saying would be the best one. I use KJV, NIV, NAS and the Message
Back to top Go down
bigjtink

bigjtink

Male Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2007-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 2:39 pm

I use the New King James. Its easier to read. But at times I go to biblegateway.com and I can look up the same verse from every translation. Works for me.
Back to top Go down
switchbladeknitter

switchbladeknitter

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 3:00 pm

I love biblegateway.com!
You guys are making me feel a lot better. I kind of thought that really as long as you're reading the Bible, it would probably be best to go with what speaks to you most and what helps you to understand it best.
I even saw this "far-out" version of the Bible at someone's house before. It was from the 60's and said things like "There was this one cat named Noah..." Groovy man!! afro LOL!!
Back to top Go down
LadyRocker

LadyRocker

Female Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 4:24 pm

I'm a King James person from way back, I suppose. I memorized verses that way, too. Well, I know it's kind of archaic, but there are advantages and disadvantages to that version, one of which is connotation with certain words meaning certain things.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianrockandfellowship.net
PeacethroughX

PeacethroughX

Female Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2007-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 12:27 am

My favorite is the New American Standard, and then the Amplified. It might that they are just my oldest and most favorite Bibles, so I'm comfortable with them.

I'll echo what Aaron said, though. Whatever version that gets you into the Bible and reading it on a daily basis is the BEST one for you!

As you grow more intimate in your relationship with God through your reading and spending time with Him, if there is one particular translation that's best for you, God will let you know it. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.achurchforthecity.org
switchbladeknitter

switchbladeknitter

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 11:12 am

Thanks for all the input everyone. So after LadyRocker's other post about Christmas - is it proper to ask for a Bible for Christmas? LOL
And I thought I might have been being a little too picky about the whole "knit together" thing.
Ah the struggles of being a Christian Goth Fiber Artist! Smile
Back to top Go down
LadyRocker

LadyRocker

Female Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 7:04 pm

You know, despite everyting I got for Christmas, I got a new Bible last year. It was probably one of the best gifts I've ever received over the years.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianrockandfellowship.net
switchbladeknitter

switchbladeknitter

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2007 1:11 am

I think I'll ask my hubby for a new Bible then Very Happy
I usually never know what to ask for when the gift getting holidays come around. I ask for vacuum cleaners and microwaves.
Back to top Go down
sirhemlock

sirhemlock

Male Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 11:17 am

switchbladeknitter wrote:

Which version of the Bible is the "best"?

When considering an English translation it is helpful to understand the
main reasons they differ and what purposes/philosophies underlie them.
Two main issues differentiate English Versions:

1. How exact is the translation?

a. Formal Equivalence (as literal as possible): KJV, NKJV, NASB, RSV; still literal but slightly less so: JPS, NRSV, etc.
b. Dynamic Equivalence (looser word-equivalents or phrase-equivalents;
supposedly more understandable but less literal and more translator
interpretation): NIV, NEB, NLT, TEV/GNG, etc.
c. Paraphrase (very free, non-literal renderings; highest degree of translator interpretation): Living Bible; The Message (yuk).

2. Which of two manuscript theories is used:

a. Modern Theory: (“Ecclectic Methodology,” favors oldest manuscripts (principally from Egypt), among other considerations.
b. “King James” Theory (favors the manuscripts which were preserved in
the highest numbers (Byzantine text tradition, i.e. the "Majority
Text").

Paraphrases and Dynamic Equivalent translations are written because
they are supposed to be more readable, but the most literal
word-for-word versions (listed above under 1a) are quite readable as well, and
they are more accurate! Sirhemlock recommends a literal version unless
you are confused by a passage (then you can compare a less literal
version to help “explain” it better). The manuscript theory doesn’t
make that big of a difference (alarmist books to the contrary
notwithstanding) because modern versions like the NASB give the most
important variant readings in the margin anyway ("some manuscripts
have..."). The KJV does not do this. Scholars such as Kenyon, Metzger,
and F. F. Bruce insist that percentage-wise, most of the text is the
same anyway, and no major doctrine of the Christian faith rests on a
disputed reading. Metzger estimated 97% of the NT is unaffected by
variants, and many of the 3% variants are trivial. If you’re like me,
you like to study every variant, but if God is merciful to you, you are
not like me.

My favorite version, by far, is the NASB (not the "new NASB," but the
NASB), an extremely literal but very readable, modern manuscript theory
version. The most important variant readings are given in the margins.
If you prefer to check the variants more closely, read and compare the
NKJV to the NASB (or better yet, learn Hebrew and Greek and textual
criticism). The KJV is a very beautiful version as well, though it is
harder to read for some because the language is 400 years old. But it
was incredibly well done, IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sirhemlock1
switchbladeknitter

switchbladeknitter

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 7:16 pm

Wow! Thanks for that sirhemlock.
Just one thing...I think though I am gonna stick with the English translations instead of learning Hebrew or Greek. LOL!
Back to top Go down
sirhemlock

sirhemlock

Male Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 10:31 pm

De nada; actually I just cut/pasted from my discussion at the old Sanctuary forum. You would like Heb/Gk if you tried, but knitting is a good thing too, if you use the right tool... ;-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sirhemlock1
Tonnenator

Tonnenator

Female Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2007-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 4:22 am

My personal favorite used to be the CEV (Contemporary English Version), but actually funny thing - AT bible study, we were reading out of that, and I found scriptures in Jeremiah that were totally wrong! These were scriptures that I had memorized KJV and the CEV had them meaning something completely different!

The KJV is good if you can understand Olde English. Most Southern Baptist churches I've been to ONLY use KJV in fact we were severely reprimanded by a parent (he was the worship leader) at the one SBC we were youth leaders at, because he found out we were teaching from the CEV.

I used to go to Calvary Chapel which is a pretty picky church about scriptures and doctrinal correctness. They always used the New Living Translation.

I like the NLT myself, too although I don't have one in my house just yet.

All the ones everybody mentioned here are good, although I personally wouldn't recommend the CEV since I found those scriptures in it. However the CEV was very good for me to read from, for the youth at Calvary Chapel who were basically "street kids" and could barely read and had very short attention spans. The Gospels read like fiction novels.

As far as websites go, I like www.crosswalk.com.

Hope that helped! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.generationactz.com
switchbladeknitter

switchbladeknitter

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 1:04 pm

Thanks for that site Tonya
As far as me the new languages. Meh. I'm not illiterate or anything but I have a lot of trouble sometimes keeping focus. A lot of it has to do with all the bad things I did to my poor little brain when I was a bad girl Sad
But it got a lot worse after I was so sick last year. I suffered total respitory failure and my body was oxygenating at like 30% for a bit. Then I was on a respirator with an 80% oxygen level for almost 3 weeks. Normal level is 95% usually. After that I just got a little more spacy so sometimes I have to re-read things that I used to breeze through and my memory has gotten a little wonky too. It's not like severe brain damage or anything, everything is just a little hazy a lot of the time. It really makes me upset because I love to read but I just can't focus as good as I used to be able to.
Back to top Go down
futuristicfolkartist

Male Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 3:39 am

i have heard the arguments for "king jimmy only". some of them are strong, some are lame. the bottom line is, each is a "translation"! a translation IS NOT INSPIRED! like someone said, we have to trust in the HOLY SPIRIT to lead us to truth, as we read the word.

i think as long as it is not the new world translation, feel free to read the bible. think about this scenario: there are countries out there that people are persecuted for possessing a bible at all! and here in america, christians argue over which one to read! hmmm...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jamiewoody
PeacethroughX

PeacethroughX

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 9:12 am

Quote :
...there are countries out there that people are persecuted for possessing a bible at all! and here in america, christians argue over which one to read! hmmm...

Excellent post! Smile
Back to top Go down
switchbladeknitter

switchbladeknitter

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 1:53 pm

Very good point folkartist.
You know sometimes you have to have someone else step back and evaulate a situation to make you see it differently.
And then you think there are people that speak languages that the Bible isn't completely translated in.
Thank you for helping me see the even bigger picture.
Back to top Go down
futuristicfolkartist

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 4:21 am

i think there is something to the arguments too. but, they can get out of hand. i have read that there are verses in king james, which were taken out of newer translations, some having to do with christ's diety.i have also heard it argued those verses were added later. (there are still plenty of verses about his godhood in the newer versions).

if it is king james, which one?!! there is the 1611 (which is not even readable to some. paul is spelled "pavl", etc.). there is the authorized, and there is the new king james, so there are at least three!

i tend to like the jewish bible, i have the JNT, i would like to have the complete jewish bible though.

i think there are problems with king james.a slant based on years of anti-sematism, cultural bias (for instance, durring the "last supper", it was a passover sader, king james says they "sat" around the table, in reality, the "reclined"!

i dont know, as long as it is not the "new world translation", it should be okay, i think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 10:48 am

I usually read out of three , KJV, NIV, NAS. I was raised on the KJV since it was the first bible they ever gave me when I got born again. But they later gave me a NIV. Then one of my girlfriends gave me a NAS, well I sort of just...took it.
Another good "bible" is the HS, Holy Spirit. One of the perks of being a Christian. If you are honest about what you know the HS is telling you, theres a good chance you wont go wrong. study
Back to top Go down
PeacethroughX

PeacethroughX

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 12:15 pm

Vade Vexx wrote:

Another good "bible" is the HS, Holy Spirit. One of the perks of being a Christian. If you are honest about what you know the HS is telling you, theres a good chance you wont go wrong. study

Very good point, as long as you realize that He will not contradict His own Word. If it's the Holy Spirit of God, the Father, His urgings and impressions will ALWAYS line up with His written Word.

If you are hearing things that don't line up with scripture, it's another spirit talking to you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 2:24 pm

PeacethroughX wrote:

Very good point, as long as you realize that He will not contradict His own Word. If it's the Holy Spirit of God, the Father, His urgings and impressions will ALWAYS line up with His written Word.

If you are hearing things that don't line up with scripture, it's another spirit talking to you.

yea, I agree 100%. But also, just because it isnt in the scripture that we have access to, there is this verse that comes to mind:
John 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books that should be written.
But if one is HONEST with themselves concerning the Holy Spirit, they will know in their heart of hearts if it is of God or their own selfish desires.
I am not sure if anyone will agree with this scripture, but it bears some thought.
Back to top Go down
futuristicfolkartist

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 4:36 am

Vade Vexx wrote:
I usually read out of three , KJV, NIV, NAS. I was raised on the KJV since it was the first bible they ever gave me when I got born again. But they later gave me a NIV. Then one of my girlfriends gave me a NAS, well I sort of just...took it.

true. i have seen danger, not in trusting the holy spirit (of course!), but in mistaking emotions for the holy spirit! this is something which happens a lot in charasmatic circles, i am afraid.

"the holy spirit took over, and i lost control of myself and did this or that". this is a false assumption, as one of the fruits of the spirit is SELF CONTROL. (galations 5:22).

the holy spirit will NEVER have us do something contrary to what the bible says! also, flippant "prophecies" in charasmatic circles...the bible is WRITTEN and COMPLETE! durring the early church age, when the bible was not complete in 66 books, prophetic utterances of the supernatural sort were NEEDED!

on the other side of the coin, the spirit STILL is at work in the life of the believer. even one who backslides! c.s. lewis said, "when the dirt is present, the spirit of god is most present"! (paraphrasing).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which version of the Bible?   Which version of the Bible? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which version of the Bible?
Page 1 of 1