Sanctuary International
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sanctuary International

Sanctuary International and Intense Radio Online Community

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bock, a spiritual beverage?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Bock, a spiritual beverage? Empty
PostSubject: Bock, a spiritual beverage?   Bock, a spiritual beverage? Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 10:35 pm

I wouldnt usually post something like this here but I found an artical about Bock beers interesting. I am a fan of Amber Bock beer by Michelob, The history behind bock style beers is interesting. It was consumed by monks during lent and even Martin Luther the great reformist. This artical might be particularly interesting to our Catholic bretheren on here.
Here is a short artical on what I found : clown
Bock is a strong lager which has origins in the Hanseatic town Einbeck, Germany. The name is a corruption of the medieval German brewing town of Einbeck, but also means goat (buck) in German. The original Bocks were dark beers, brewed from high-coloured malts. Modern Bocks can be dark, amber or pale in colour. Bock was traditionally brewed for special occasions, often religious festivals such as Christmas, Easter or Lent.
Bocks have a long history of being brewed and consumed by Roman Catholic monks in Germany. During the Spring religious season of Lent, monks were required to fast. High-gravity Bock beers are higher in food energy and nutrients than lighter lagers, thus providing sustenance during this period [1] . Similar high-gravity Lenten beers of various styles were brewed by Monks in other lands as well (see Trappist beer). It was rumored that Martin Luther drank this beer during the Diet of Worms[2].
Many commercial breweries include images of goats on bottle labels, as "bock" means billy-goat in German. It may tangentially refer to the increased "kick" of the style, as well.
Back to top Go down
Rastus

Rastus

Male Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Bock, a spiritual beverage?   Bock, a spiritual beverage? Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 12:17 am

this'll prolly just give us non-protestants a bad name.
but mst catholics believe that it is NOT a sin to drink, but that a drink in good measure is good for you, bodily and spiritually.

even our priest likes a good glass of wine once in a while.
all things in moderation ; )
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tory98

PostSubject: Re: Bock, a spiritual beverage?   Bock, a spiritual beverage? Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 1:24 am

I dont believe its a sin to drink either
Back to top Go down
futuristicfolkartist

Male Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Bock, a spiritual beverage?   Bock, a spiritual beverage? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 3:16 am

i dont drink beer a lot, but if i do, it is either guennus on tap or newcastle, st pauli girl, or any good dark beer.

wine is good too, as long as it is not thunderbird! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jamiewoody

PostSubject: Re: Bock, a spiritual beverage?   Bock, a spiritual beverage? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 3:31 pm

heheh no thunderbird or wild irish rose or MD 2020
Back to top Go down
switchbladeknitter

switchbladeknitter

Female Number of posts : 804
Registration date : 2007-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Bock, a spiritual beverage?   Bock, a spiritual beverage? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 3:58 pm

I can't believe I missed this thread!
for one I guess Bock can truly give a new meaning to liquid diet
and for two I just had a flashback room spin when I read
thunderbird, wild irish rose and MD 20/20.
especially wild irish rose it would make me giggle at everything and then like 3 hours later - worst.headache. ever.

that brings back the 'what was I thinking?" days (daze)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bock, a spiritual beverage?   Bock, a spiritual beverage? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bock, a spiritual beverage?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sanctuary International :: Intense Forums :: LIFE-
Jump to: