Sanctuary International
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sanctuary International

Sanctuary International and Intense Radio Online Community

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Flyleaf, Tina, Cussing, and Christianity

Go down 
+2
Panzer
userwolf1898
6 posters
AuthorMessage
userwolf1898

userwolf1898

Male Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Flyleaf, Tina, Cussing, and Christianity Empty
PostSubject: Flyleaf, Tina, Cussing, and Christianity   Flyleaf, Tina, Cussing, and Christianity Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 1:24 pm

I was at a flyleaf concert a while back, and I heard them play their song "Tina" live.

It opens with the first verse of their song "Okay":

"I won't be satisfied with okay
And I can't be okay with alright
So point me to the edge of life
I'll stand up on my toes
Stretch my fingers out to there and bring it back here

It's too important for us to forget
We'll unify our thoughts
God will hear and save
God will hear and save us"

And then, they play the first verse, and the chorus, but on the second verse, they substitute the s word for dung.

"They cannot notice her sickness
Like their own (dung) sprayed with perfume."

Now, I realize that the greek word translated as "Dung" in the kjv is actually the equivalent of the s word, so I am not totally offended. Still, I wonder if this is acceptable or not. I mean, should she sing i that way, or should she just sing it normally?

Also, if anybody can give me some biblical references for cussing being the same as cursing or swearing, please tell me. I'm not saying the I cuss all the time, or even endorse it, I'm just trying to figure out if it's in the bible or if it's something, like dressing up to go to church, that has been passed down from the church.

and here are 3 blog posts from a pastor that might help explain a little bit more on cussing:
http://isaiah543.wordpress.com/2006/05/14/
http://isaiah543.wordpress.com/2006/05/16/profanity-part-2/
http://isaiah543.wordpress.com/2006/08/24/

Thanks ahead for reading this, guys, and thanks for any info.
Back to top Go down
Panzer

Panzer

Male Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2008-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Flyleaf, Tina, Cussing, and Christianity   Flyleaf, Tina, Cussing, and Christianity Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 2:02 pm

The line has been so blurred by people wanting to be like the secular world that its hard to tell whats considered good or bad anymore .
But heres a fact , The word Piss is in the bible , The S word is just another slang word for dung. I think both piss and sh** sounds vulgar but I dont think it would send a person to hell .

Last edited by Panzer on Sun May 08, 2011 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PeacethroughX

PeacethroughX

Female Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2007-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Flyleaf, Tina, Cussing, and Christianity   Flyleaf, Tina, Cussing, and Christianity Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 8:08 am

Well.... I DO believe there are dividing lines between what is Godly and what is ungodly. Most of it goes to the condition of the heart, and we will struggle with these choices as we learn and grow in Christ. Some dividing lines are instantly clear and others come into clarity as we mature.

Jesus' words and actions made a lot of people uncomfortable. He was breaking away from traditional rituals and roles, He was NOT the Warrior Messiah the Jews expected, and He opened His arms to the children, the sick and diseased, the elderly and the outcasts of the communities - something unheard of in that day and time.

He was trying to get people to change their hearts, i.e. motives. He tried to get people to think about what they PURPOSED to do - to slow down and think about it first - and then to act. Picking out one or two verses will not change a person's course in life - leaning into Jesus completely and fully will start the way of change individual to that person.

For some, it may a struggle with purposed cussing. cursing, swearing (whatever name you want to give it) for shock value rather than the occasional slip of the tongue in anger.

For others, it may be fully recognizing God as their Father and Jesus as His Son, who loves them completely and wholly, and wants to offer them peace in their lives and minds here on Earth.

We never fully know the struggles of another's heart.... in my opinion, we must be careful with what we think others "should" or "should not" do, and how we speak it out. The "how" of how we react may be the turning point in their lives and growth. That will send a stronger message on God's love than anything else because it will show the condition of OUR heart.
Back to top Go down
http://www.achurchforthecity.org
_Wes

_Wes

Male Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2007-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Flyleaf, Tina, Cussing, and Christianity   Flyleaf, Tina, Cussing, and Christianity Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 10:32 am

tough issue.

I'd much rather hear someone cuss - than be hateful. . . .
Back to top Go down
http://StrangeLand.us
freedom

Female Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Flyleaf, Tina, Cussing, and Christianity   Flyleaf, Tina, Cussing, and Christianity Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 7:59 pm

sry i can't help u ther. i dont no if i am godly r not, or even if i am a christian or not and frankly at the moment i dont really even care about life or anything at all. but i do cuss, and nobody seems to care soooo ... plus idk but dung doesnt really sound very good lol.
Back to top Go down
Tonnenator

Tonnenator

Female Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2007-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Flyleaf, Tina, Cussing, and Christianity   Flyleaf, Tina, Cussing, and Christianity Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Well the Bible does say that we are to be careful not to offend our brothers in Christ.

And if society as a whole finds those words to be offensive...and the church as a whole finds them offensive then I believe as a good example to the children she is trying to reach, and out of respect to their parents, she should clean her lyrics up, that is if her heart is really towards reaching those teens (children).

I somewhat agree about the whole condition of the heart thing. I mean for example there are some people I know here in Columbus who are swingers, and I am not going to hesitate to say that is wrong. I would never sit here and be like, "Well, it's the condition of their heart that matters, I mean, if they want to cheat on each other, who am I to judge?" when I know that the Bible clearly says that it's wrong.

We have to be careful not to get so mamby-pamby about godliness and holiness when God so clearly calls us to be such in His Word.

Back to top Go down
http://www.generationactz.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flyleaf, Tina, Cussing, and Christianity   Flyleaf, Tina, Cussing, and Christianity Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flyleaf, Tina, Cussing, and Christianity
Page 1 of 1